According to the Norwegian security agency, the assassination of five people in Norway with a bow and arrow looks to be an “act of terror,” according to the Norwegian security agency, which had already placed the suspect, a Danish Muslim convert, on their radar due to concerns he had been radicalized.
In Norway’s worst assault in a decade, four ladies and a man were killed, and two others were injured on Wednesday in the south-eastern town of Kongsberg. During interrogation, the 37-year-old suspect admitted to the facts of the case, according to Saeverud.
Read also: Terrorist killed in Kashmir encounter
Murder is uncommon in Norway. It was the worst assault since Anders Behring Breivik, a far-right fanatic who killed 77 people in 2011. Since then, another far-right assault has occurred in Norway, this time with a self-described neo-Nazi who opened fire on a mosque. On Thursday, Kongsberg, a beautiful town of 25,000 inhabitants with wooden facades and changing foliage for the autumn, was mostly quiet.
With barely a minor police presence, the streets were practically deserted. A small group of police officers gathered outside a shop where the incident took place. A bullet shattered a glass door there. Outside the town’s church, two candles glowed. According to the prosecution, he had a psychiatric assessment on Thursday. Although the victims have not been identified officially, one of the injured was an off-duty police officer at a business.
According to Norwegian media, after the first reports of the incident, police took more than a half-hour to apprehend the culprit. At 6:13 p.m. (1613 p.m. GMT), police were notified of the attack, and the suspect was arrested at 6:47 p.m. According to Saeverud, he fired arrows at police, who retaliated with warning bullets. When Thomas Nilsen heard the cries, he claimed visions of battle flashed through his head. He told AFP, “I assumed it was Kabul.” Another witness, Terje Kristiansen, stated, “I heard children crying, barking, and then the sound of a helicopter flying about my house.”
A black arrow protruding from a wall and what seemed to be competition-grade arrows lying on the ground were shown in the media. The suspect had utilized additional firearms, according to police, but no specifics were offered. “These events disturb us,” Prime Minister Erna Solberg said after stepping down on Thursday and being replaced by Jonas Gahr Store, whose Labour Party won parliamentary elections recently. Store lamented the “terrible deeds,” while Norway’s King Harald expressed his “astonishment” at the sad occurrences.
Police officers in Norway are not typically armed, but following the attack, the National Police Directorate ordered that all officers be armed. Norway seldom sees such brutality, yet 77 people were slaughtered by Anders Behring Breivik in the country’s deadliest atrocity since World War II ten years ago. Breivik first detonated a bomb near the prime minister’s office in Oslo, then proceeded on a shooting rampage at a summer camp for left-wing youngsters on the island of Utoya. Security forces have also thwarted several planned terrorist assaults.