Counsellor is the one who helps or guides people having medical, psychological, social, relational, educational, and career problems. There are certain skills that are needed to become a good counselor which is as follows.
You need to have good verbal and written communication skills to interact with the client. Clients usually come to you with a problem or in a stressed mode, hence you need to be very good at communication skills.
2) Counsellors need to have good interpersonal skills. A relationship with a client on a professional level can be of months or even extend to many years depending on the client’s regularity in treatment, hence you need to know how to work out with different groups of people effectively.
3) Counsellors need to keep confidential an ethical code of conduct while talking out with their clients. What clients share with the counselor should be between the two of them and shouldn’t be discussed with others.
4) Counsellors need to be patient enough to deal with the various emotional problems that the client has in his mind. It can be small or big but counselors should be good at dealing with and making the clients understand how to overcome their problems eventually.
5) Counsellors should have a compassionate ear and have sympathy to understand the pain of the clients. You need to make them feel comfortable so that they can open up as much as possible to you and share their concerns.
6) Counsellors should have solid emotional stability in order to deal with people who are depressed and distressed.
7) Counsellors should be open-minded to listen to people’s different types of problems and situations. You should also be open to accepting if any changes are suggested by your client during the therapy sessions.
8) Clients should be able to trust you and you should inspire them to solve their problems with alternate strategies or solutions.