Two die, 45 fall ill after drinking contaminated water in MP village

Ailing people are stable, say district hospital doctors
 
 
Two die, 45 fall ill after drinking contaminated water in MP village

Bhopal:  Panic prevailed in Kanchari Pati village of Madhya Pradesh’s Damoh district on Friday when gastroenteritis spread because of contaminated water, official sources said. Two persons died and 45 fell ill after drinking it. The ailing people were rushed to the district hospital and to a health centre. The area where the incident took place comes under the Lok Sabha constituency of Union minister of state for Jal Shakti Prahlad Patel. An elderly man and woman of the village had died before the health department team reached the spot.

Out of the 45 patients, ten seriously ill were sent to the district hospital, and 35 were undergoing treatment at the health and wellness centre. The doctors treating the patients said that acute gastroenteritis may have spread because of the contaminated water that the residents of the village collected from a well. The patients are stable now, the doctors said. A team of the district hospital rushed to the spot and sent 35 patients down with mild dehydration to the wellness centre, said Dr Sachin Malaiya of the district hospital.

Read also: Property of Mukhtar’s close aide attached in Mau

According to villagers, many residents complained of stomach infection, but they could not realise what had actually happened. But when two elderly persons died, they informed the district hospital about. On getting the information, a medical team from the district hospital rushed to the spot and sent the seriously ailing people to hospital. Sources said that rainwater polluted the water in the well.